[LINK] Resilient Broadband Network needed for Australia

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Thu May 8 21:55:52 AEST 2008

On 2008/May/08, at 1:33 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Seems to me the whole "VOIP is not capable of emergency calls" thing
> is a beat up to try and claw back VOIP gains.  Telcos could do VOIP
> emergency calls if they really wanted to, or if they were forced by
> legislation to.  And they do often have to be forced, mobile number
> portability being one example.

Oh, it's not all the telcos fault, there's probably another elephant
in the room.  VOIP calls are much harder to eavesdrop on, Skype calls
an order of difficulty harder again.  There are vested interests who
don't want VOIP as part of the infrastructure until that's sorted.  It
may have already happened by then though.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961