[LINK] Net Ad quality

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed May 28 11:16:18 AEST 2008

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Google: "We'd like to think that we had a hand in the webs shift
>          to a "content meritocracy"."
>
> http://googletesting.blogspot.com/2008/05/intro-to-ad-quality-test-
> challenges.html
>

> WebProNews: Tuesday, May 27, 2008. http://www.webpronews.com/feeds
>
> Ad quality becomes a bigger issue in the coming weeks, as Google plans to
> subject advertisers to landing page load time assessments. Speedier pages,
> which will mean those without lots of plugged-in third-party content, will
> receive better ad quality scores.

A real problem with Internet advertising is the speed at which remote
(i.e. unrelated) advertising servers respond. Sometimes, google and other
ad services are offline or stalled. Badly constructed HTML that is
dependent on these external services can cause the entire page load to
stall and eventually fail.

What the hapless web user sees likely varies from browser to browser. With
Firefox, I see the URL of the failing ad server in the status bar and a
unceasingly blank web page. Very annoying and frustrating.

It leaves one with a very bad taste and a built-in dislike and even abhorence
of google ads and doubleclick market tracking.

I won't go into another peeve regarding ads: being forced to read around
contained animation.

cheer
rickw