[LINK] Rudd Government's internet filter to block up to 10, 000 'unwanted' sites

rene rene.lk at libertus.net
Thu Nov 13 17:02:28 AEDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:42:16 +1100, Roger Clarke wrote:

> At 14:12 +1100 13/11/08, Bernard Robertson-Dunn posted:
>
>> Rudd Government's internet filter to block up to 10,000 'unwanted'
>> sites By Jennifer Dudley-Nicholson November 13, 2008 10:44am The
>> Australian IT
>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24645568-
>> 5014239,00.html
>>
> ..
>> Electronic Frontiers Australia board member Colin Jacobs says live
>> trials of ISP-based web filters would be rushed, as they were
>> scheduled to occur as internet companies geared down for Christmas.
>> "It is unclear how ACMA will scale up their blacklist to 10,000
>> websites and what will go on the list," he said.
>> "Mr Conroy said the list would contain illegal and unwanted content
>> but we still have to see what would end up on that list.
>>

> It's unclear under what legal authority additional sites can be blocked.

It's unclear under what legal authority *any* o/s sites can be blocked by
ISPs, which is probably why the EOI documents seem to indicate an intention
that ISP customers will participate on a voluntary basis. Of course this
means the outcome of the trial is of doubtful relevance to a "real world"
situation because it will be a self-selected population of users who are
keen to try out blocking systems.

Irene