[LINK] the BBN bid article - who is Kevin Morgan?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Nov 27 08:58:30 AEDT 2008

There's an article in the Age today by a person named Kevin Morgan,
identified at the end of the piece as an independent
telecommunications consultant .
http://business.theage.com.au/business/no-broadband-bid-damages-labors-policy-20081126-6iv4.html

He ends it with:

But even if SingTel and its major shareholder, Temasek, are prepared
to stump up $10 billion to $15 billion,[source, Mr Morgan?] there is
one problem: they need access to the exiting(sic) [Freudian slip
perhaps?] Telstra infrastructure and particularly the last few
hundred metres of copper that run to every household.

The real sting in the tail for Conroy in the Telstra letter is that
it has signalled it will not agree to give a rival bidder access to
that copper and in the absence of that agreement, there can be no
rival national broadband network.

--

I guess the decision of the monopoly ownership of the copper is
coming home to roost. Of course, Morgan could be wrong. Copper may

BTW, does anyone know of this person? His Liberal politics is
showing. He also says:
"the tender would have obliged Telstra to hand hundreds of millions
of dollars worth of intellectual property to a government that does
not seem capable of keeping the Prime Minister's conversations with
the US President confidential. "

What does that have to do with ICT? And has he never heard of
licensing? Or commercial in confidence? It's not like governments
don't do this every day of the week.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007