[LINK] FW: Link Digest, Vol 192, Issue 48

Chris Gilbey chris at perceptric.com
Thu Nov 27 14:46:11 AEDT 2008

Kim

All performing rights that are collected are paid through by APRA to the
songwriters and publishers other than the administrative costs of the
organization. So it is essentially an NFP that operates as a monopoly.

Material that is in the public domain is royalty free - however, generally
the arrangement is copyright, so a payment is made to the arranger. I
believe that this is at a lower rate than for a work that is still in
copyright. I don't know the answer to your question about a CC work, but the
money that is collected is passed on regardless.

When writers are paying their own songs live, the songwriters receive their
payment at the end of the year based on the returns that they have submitted
for the gigs that they performed at...

Regards

Chris Gilbey

Message: 6