[LINK] Chinese surfers see red over Microsoft black-outs

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Thu Oct 23 14:59:34 AEDT 2008

Love the headline.
<http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE49L11C20081022>
> BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese Internet users have expressed fury at Microsoft's launch of an anti-piracy tool targeting Chinese computer users to ensure they buy genuine software.
>
> The "Windows Genuine Advantage" program, which turns the user's screen black if the installed software fails a validation test, is Microsoft's latest weapon in its war on piracy in China, where the vast majority of 200 million computer users are believed to be using counterfeit software, unwittingly or not.
> The software giant defended the program on its website as part of its "commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."
If Microsoft kills your computer, then you'll have no more problems, I
guess.

The same story appears at:
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/87315,chinese-surfers-see-red-over-microsoft-black-outs.aspx>,
where one of the commentators points out that his Microsoft-branded
mouse and keyboard are made in China.

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
                                 |  The more they come to appreciate
                                 |  How much they don't know.
                                                        --Confucius