[LINK] Video: streaming vs P2P

Sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Sun Oct 26 01:39:41 AEDT 2008

A recent press release from Multimedia Intelligence
 http://www.multimediaintelligence.com/
is claiming there will be a 400% increase in P2P traffic over the next few
years, and their two and a half grand report will explain it all.

This got a fair bit of pick up around the place, from gizmodo to the new york
times.

On the other hand, almost two months ago, an article on arstechnica claimed
that "P2P traffic drops as streaming video grows in popularity"

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080902-p2p-traffic-drops-as-streaming-video-grows-in-popularity.html
 or
http://tinyurl.com/5qcvh3

But this doesn't seem to have had quite the same pick up as a story that I
noticed and the concluding paragraph may provide a clue, perhaps:

 "Finally, the news might seem less great for ISPs, which
  have to cope with rising traffic no matter how it's
  delivered, but shifting the traffic to streams delivered
  on the web does have one tremendous side effect: it will
  gradually reduce the leverage that the music and video
  business have over them. Right, now, high rates of P2P
  traffic are used by content owners as a way to bludgeon
  governments and ISPs into cooperation with their schemes,
  which include filtering proposals and graduated response
  mechanisms."

Though, there are those of you on Link more knowledgable than I on these
matters, so I'd be interested on how others view the P2P vs Streaming claims.

Also, the arstechnica piece also gives a link to one of it's sources,
plus.net, a UK ISP that provides occassional insights into the usage data
patterns across its network. Specifically a piece they posted in July, "More
Record Breaking Streaming and the Latest iPlayer News"

http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/07/17/more-record-breaking-streaming-and-the-latest-iplayer-news/
 or
http://tinyurl.com/5fwqp6

Sylvano