[LINK] Real-world IT skills levels (was Re: Show me the money)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Oct 29 17:18:11 AEDT 2008

At 12:14 PM 29/10/2008, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>Now, my position is simple: if there's no *utterly
>necessary* reason to make a radical change a UI, then you don't do it,
>because however "nice" the feature is, and however much it will get
>praised in the echo-chamber that makes up most reviewing communities,
>it's going to be a pain for the users.

The other issue isn't that there is a static design, but that it is
user selectable in some cases. I haven't changed it in a while, but I
remember a setting for click behaviour somewhere, either in Windows
itself or in applications.

Where this gets dicey is when people move between personal setups,
say on a laptop or home computer, that may be shared, and workplace
settings. I have often said the word 'personal' in PC is an important
concept to understand.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007