[LINK] Filter to cause World Wide Wait

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Oct 31 07:02:26 AEDT 2008

On 31/10/2008, at 5:51 AM, Scott Howard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Kim Holburn
> <kim.holburn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It sounds to me like these filters they are planning are like proxies
>> and filter on domain name.  Does that mean using a URL with and IP
>> address would by-pass them?
>
> Sometimes, but normally not.

And the other half of the equation is "live" filtering by analysis of
content "on the fly".

The report on the Phase 1 "lab test" trials "Closed Environment
Testing of ISP−Level Internet Content Filters" http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310554/isp-level_internet_content_filtering_trial-report.p
df has a decent explanation of how the various filters work... as well
as the background and timetables for what the government is doing.

Reading the documentation beats speculation nearly every time. ;)

It isn't a case of "the filters they are planning", though, because
there's no plan beyond "we'll do ISP-level filtering". Of something.
Somehow. Don't as questions. A bunch of filters were selected for a
trial on the basis of being representative of what's on the market, to
see what that can do. Phase 2 is "OK, now let's deploy them in real
ISPs and see what happens. But there is no clear, underlying policy
basis for this, which is part of what makes it creepy.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia