[LINK] The bad guys have won (was Re: www.ipv6.org.au/summit)

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Sep 1 12:54:47 AEST 2008

On 01/09/2008, at 12:07 PM, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Mon 2008-09-01 11:16:14 UTC+1000, Stilgherrian (stil at stilgherrian.com
> ) wrote:
>> While one can set up "limited" accounts in Windows, so much Windows
>> software is written assuming that you're administrator that in
>> everyday use it's far, far too difficult to set up and use these
>> limited accounts.
>
> It's quite reasonable to occasionally use the "Run As" feature to run
> particular software with Administrator privileges, while operating as
> a limited user for the rest of the time.
>
> But I was under the impression that this was no longer an issue for
> modern general purpose software, especially (but not necessarily) if
> said software is written with Vista compatibility in mind.
>
> Can you give some examples?

I think "modern" and "general purpose" are the keys. I have clients
whose core business applications are, um, "vertically integrated
packages for their industry with a long heritage". I won't name names
since it'd embarrass the creators and in other ways they're good
packages.

That said, it was only relatively recently that MYOB would run as a
non-administrator.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia