[LINK] The monopoly we had to have

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Thu Sep 11 14:23:26 AEST 2008

Restating the bleeding obvious about the National Broadband Network (NBN):
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/84436,opnion-the-monopoly-we-had-to-have.aspx>
> it really isn’t in anyone’s interest for any one private entity to own
> and control our nation’s broadband future. And we just aren’t big
> enough to have a half a dozen NBNs all competing with one another.
> Sure, we have to pay to get network built, so pay for it we must, but
> let’s not let any single telco hold us to ransom with future bleating
> about return on investment, shareholders’ demands and executive bonuses.
To that I'd add that equality of access is imperative for effective
retail competition. Telstra has an abysmal history of impeding retail
competition on networks it controls.

--
David Boxall | Drink no longer water,