[LINK] SMS - shortcomings in emergency services

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sun Sep 21 00:14:39 AEST 2008

On 20/09/2008, at 5:58 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:

> On 2008/Sep/20, at 12:36 AM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>> There's a broader, more complex issue here: in times of emergency,
>> power is often the first utility which is cut.
>
> Not necessarily.  It depends on the emergency.

I was referring to mobile phones, not the towers: the life of a mobile
phone without a charging capacity is no better than some years ago,
especially with 3G.

>> This limits the usefulness of mobile phones in an unusual way
>> (experienced first hand): after a period of time, mobile phone
>> batteries require recharging, and with no power outlets to service
>> this request, mobile phones become useless (apart from the problem
>> of not being able to use the service in the first place).
>
> This is not that different to ordinary phones that are supplied with
> power from the exchange.  For that reason, it's possible that a cell
> tower requires less power than an exchange and could possibly last
> longer without power.  At least with mobiles you can charge them in a
> car or with a solar charger.

Not so when a bushfire is raging: solar penetration is minimal, and
solar charging is not a useful option. I speak from direct experience
here.

iT