[LINK] New opposition spokesperson for broadband

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Tue Sep 23 13:35:08 AEST 2008

> In the fibre to the home model, who pays for the last bit on private property
> and where will the conversion from light  occur?

If you have a look at Verizon, they own the fiber, and it comes
underground to a box mounted on the outer wall of the house and
is terminated there. They then mount a box on the inner wall,
which receives the power and contains the RJ-45 copper connector.
There's a hole drilled between the two boxes.

There seems to be a range of parts available, to allow for a
range of house construction materials and issues (such as
avoiding drilling asbestos sheeting).

Verizon's is probably the closest to the housing stock we have
in Australia. NTT's rollout in Japan is much more focussed on
apartment complexes and their gear is tuned to that use.

> There's no reason the last meter connections shouldn't be paid by the
> homeowner, just like coax cabling or telephone installations. Not
> everyone will want it at the time it's going in the street.

Whilst that's true, from the provider's point of view using
a pre-terminated fiber cable is much cheaper.  So the
provider might well want to decide where a future ingress
will be located as part of the pre-installation survey,
then have a 16-drop fiber made to match that spec in a
factory.  When installed in the field the unused drops are
coiled up for when a customer does appear.

--
  Glen Turner   <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>