[LINK] MS Windows and CD formats

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Sep 24 13:03:47 AEST 2008

David Lochrin wrote:
>    This semester I have encountered problems reading students' submissions handed in on CDs for the first time.
>
>    The problem seems to be that Microsoft Vista ~by default~ writes CDs and DVDs in one of two proprietary formats known only to Vista and XP.  Standard ISO-9660 simply isn't available.  It's all explained at http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b47eb51a-ea6d-4d97-97b0-2d07a59316981033.mspx
>
>    Typical Microsoft - ignore the standards, just assume everyone has a Windows system running XP or later and runs their whole life around it.  From their FAQ, for example:
>
> |  How do I make a music or a video disc that will work in a CD or DVD player?
> |
> | Use a music or video burning program to make playable discs. If you use Windows to copy music files to a disc, for example, they will be copied as files and will not play in most CD players.
>
>    The arrogance of this company is scarcely credible.
>
>    I suspect there may be a problem with memory sticks too, but haven't gone into it.
> oth
> David

  AudioCD, Video DVD and CDROM/DVDROMs of computer files are three different
formats. ISO-9660 format is an image file format and  used for distributing
operating systems, not individual files.

K3B <http://k3b.plainblack.com/> (on linux) allows you to make all three. I
don't have a DVD writer, so I can't writed DVDs, but can read them and both read
and write CDs (Audio and ROM of computer files). A video DVD contains MPEG2
files and some kind of header information.

I have made CDROMs on linux and distributed them to Windows users - who, with
one exception, can read the photos no problem. The Ogg video can be problematic.

The USB Memory stick I bought came with some backup software that I have had
difficulty removing, as it is a problem, because it fires up when  the stick is
plugged into a windows computer  but has no effect on a linux computer.

Marghanita

PS while googleing ISO-9660 came across:
<http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en>
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au