[LINK] MS Windows and CD formats

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Tue Sep 30 09:20:30 AEST 2008

On Wed 2008-09-24 12:34:14 UTC+1000, David Lochrin (dlochrin at d2.net.au) wrote:

> This semester I have encountered problems reading students'
> submissions handed in on CDs for the first time.

This entire thread seems to have teleported into bizarro world
somewhat.

The filesystem formats used by recordable data CDs and data DVDs are
designed to be compatible between all the modern operating systems
(and standalone players).

There would be no sense in Microsoft creating a new general purpose
CD/DVD filesystem and have Vista use it by default.  There really is
no need for a new format, and given that Microsoft themselves actually
write software for OS X, notably Microsoft Office, it would cause
problems internally.  Even if they created a new filesystem, OS X and
Linux would have support for it by now - Vista was released almost two
years ago.

Any incompatibilites with reading discs that you encounter are most
likely due to software bugs or incorrect settings during the burning
process, or hardware (firmware) bugs.  Occasionally you might
encounter older standalone DVD players that have trouble reading
multisession DVDs, or rewritable DVDs.  Very early DVD players will
not read recordable DVDs at all.