[LINK] MS Windows and CD formats

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed Sep 24 17:07:15 AEST 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 16:53, Scott Howard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:48 PM, David Lochrin <dlochrin at d2.net.au> wrote:
>> | Use a music or video burning program to make playable discs. If you use
>>
>> Windows to copy music files to a disc, for example, they will be copied
>> as files and will not play in most CD players.
>
> Because, like it says, if you use Windows they will be copied as "files"
> (eg, MP3 files).  CD players, in the generic sense, don't play MP3 files
> off a data CD.
>
> ie, it's saying that Windows can't burn Audio CDs or Video DVDs, only data
> CDs/DVDs (although I'm fairly sure Windows Media Player can burn Audio CDs)

   Well, let me tell you the CD I received from one of my student groups contained directories & files, and it certainly wasn't standard ISO 9660.  While it could be read with XP, it could not be read using this SuSE Linux system or Windows98-SE.

   The Linux diagnostic reads "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc, missing codepage or other error   In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"

   And in case you're wondering, the Linux system also recognises and plays standard audio CDs quite happily as soon as they're placed in the reader.

David