[LINK] more about open info access ...

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Apr 1 12:03:28 AEDT 2009

2009/3/31 Tom Worthington <Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au>:
>  The self deposit process seems to me to be a flawed business model
>  derived from a librarian's outdated idea of how publishing is done.
>   ... it seems to me it is much
>  simpler and cheaper to make an open access publication, than try to
>  get people to put copies of papers from old publications in a
>  repository. ...

Absolutely.  To use Stevan Harnad's colour-schemes, what you describe
there is the gold-standard.  Journals that permit self-deposit are
green.  There are a couple of layers below that.

The problem is that for-profits aren't volunteering to die, and they
own much of the copyright;  so gold is unattainable for 70-80% of the
content, at least in the medium term, and hence gold alone is an
incomplete strategy.

If you like, self-deposit is the (or a) way to cope with realities.

(BTW, the ACS and IFIP initiative and underlying philosophy are
excellent, and AJIS and hence the Australian IS community was an
early beneficiary of it.  But ISR and JMIS and IJEC, and even ACM and
IEEE, aren't about to lie down and die).

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong