[LINK] Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car in Canberra

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Apr 3 10:36:59 AEDT 2009

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 08:48 AM 3/04/2009, Karl Auer wrote:
>> the success of the car will have FAR more to do with marketing,
>> education of the buying public, and the cost of fuel than anything else.
>
> [since this has to do with networks --- not data, but energy]
>
> I've often wondered if there has been any study of the real change in
> energy demands re a shift to electric from petrol in the full energy
> chain and the effects on GH gas emisions. The power for the car
> batteries has to come from the same power plants that are powered by
> coal and are already struggling to meet demand, especially in summer.
>
> Can anyone point to somewhat reliable independent analyses for Australia?

<snip>
The following seems to be a step forward from the Green Power offerings of
electricity companies which offer premium green power service which translates
into a percentage of the power they sell - but not necessarily to you.

> Under the agreement, Macquarie will raise $1 billion to build an electric-vehicle network in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, and AGL will power it with renewable energy.
<http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24541574-15306,00.html>

  I think this is the stuff Obama is excited about - smart grids and small scale
solar
panels on houses, wind turbines that feed into the grid. There is also a
suggestion, that the power can be fed back into the grid. Presumeably the
electricity could also be used to power public transport Light rail/Trams.
> He went on to announce the availability of $2.4 billion in funding Americans to work producing next generation Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles and the advanced battery components that will make these vehicles run. The initiative will create tens of thousands of jobs, and Americans who decide to purchase these Plug-in Hybrid vehicles can claim a tax credit of up to $7,500. He went on to announce that:
>

>     * The Department of Energy is offering up to $1.5 billion in grants to U.S. based manufacturers to produce these highly efficient batteries and their components.
>
>     * The Department of Energy is offering up to $500 million in grants to U.S. based manufacturers to produce other components needed for electric vehicles, such as electric motors and other components.
>
>     * The Department of Energy is offering up to $400 million to demonstrate and evaluate Plug-In Hybrids and other electric infrastructure concepts -- like truck stop charging station, electric rail, and training for technicians to build and repair electric vehicles.
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/03/19/Electric/>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz