[LINK] Filtering, throttling of ISPs

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Apr 5 12:00:34 AEST 2009

At 11:09 AM 5/04/2009, Stilgherrian wrote:
>On the topic of filtering, Canada's Internet filtering regime "works"
>because they defined the aims. It wasn't some vague "make the Internet
>safe for children", but to prevent people accidentally coming across
>child abuse material such as child pornography, because that might be
>the first step in them taking the path to becoming child abusers.
>
>With that quite limited aim, blocking a relatively small blacklist
>whose contents were well defined was achievable both bureaucratically
>and technically.

That's all well and good, but still crazy because of all the reasons
we've discussed on here before. It's like trying homeopathy. Put in a
miniscule cure in a glass of water and the problem is fixed. Yeah,
right. But if it makes the voting public feel better, gee, go for your life.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/