[LINK] NBN is FTTH

Sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Tue Apr 7 15:03:24 AEST 2009

On Tue, April 7, 2009 1:41 pm, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net wrote:
> 2009/4/7 Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita at ramin.com.au>:
>> Model the cost of 3G wireless vs FTTH coverage for the 250,000
>> people in Canberra.
>>
>> Marghanita
>
> I believe the constraint on such a deployment would be having enough
> free channels to allow simultaneous access to enough of those people.
> As there is only a set amount of spectrum for 3G, it can only
> accommodate so many concurrent users per base station. You cannot
> build another base station next door as there is too much overlap
> between the channels. I understand even with a code division protocol
> there are pretty low ceilings on how many concurrent users can operate
> in a given geographic area.
> I'd love one of the more radio savvy LINKers to fill this in with
> examples or figures.

And don't forget the promises from communications ministers, such as
Coonan's from a while back:

"Maintaining analogue television services and simulcasting
television in both digital and analogue is expensive for
both broadcasters and Australian taxpayers.

It is also an inefficient use of spectrum which could
otherwise be used to provide new broadcasting and
communications services (e.g. digital radio,
wireless broadband, other mobile and new television
services)."

http://www.archive.dcita.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0006/53556/Digital_Action_Plan_web.rtf

;-)

Sylvano