[LINK] NBN is FTTH

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 00:18:58 AEST 2009

2009/4/7 Paul Brooks <pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au>:
> (3G) ... regularly peaks unpredictably to 400+ ms.
My Voda USB modem regularly peaks at infinite latency.
In my office today there were a bunch of people arguing that wireless
has come so far in the last 5 years that we should back it for the
last mile in future.
As far as I could tell, none of them used a 3g data link regularly. I
haven't used fixed wireless like the Unwired stuff, which I am told is
better, but the 3G stuff is woeful in holding up a connection. I don't
know the specifics, but I guess that every x number of seconds it
retrains on the best signal. Great if you are on the train (actually,
flaky too) but regular 'no signal' glitches for tens of seconds in
real world use. And this is just web and email, I can't imaging a
happy VoIP or gaming user.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs