[LINK] NBN is FTTH

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Wed Apr 8 10:13:45 AEST 2009

$quoted_author = "Paul Brooks" ;

> GPON, the current latest generation FTTP system, shares a 2.5Gbps
> downstream link amongst 32 - 64 users

There may be other options with 10G EPON due (hopefully) later this year and
WDM-PON (only heard about this recently, still reading...).

> Personally, I think one of the biggest improvements of FTTP is not that
> people get a bigger pipe, but rather that the improved service distances
> available with fibre means there should be no more urban blackspots -

The big win for NBNC is the greater reach means less exchanges and hence
less real estate costs.

If/when Telstra decides to turn off their copper network they are sitting on
a lot of prime real estate.

cheers
Marty