[LINK] NBN is FTTH

Barrie Hall barrie at mypond.net
Wed Apr 8 18:32:36 AEST 2009

> At 12:08 PM 8/04/2009, David Boxall wrote:
>>We have the technology, or so it seems. The question is whether we're
>>prepared to pay for it.
>
> Does anyone know what the CPE cost will be/is now for fibre connectivity?
>
> Jan

Thats always a bit grey in an FTTP/FTTH context. The ONT usually presents a
100Mb/s bridged ethernet interface to the home. Meaning that the "CPE" is
the ONT (owned by the carrier).

My *guess* is that this will evolve into a bridged GE interface presented to
the home. At this interface I would expect to see the end user to purchase a
GE firewall/NAT device.

The smart way of course would be to have the ONT act as a home gateway.

Barrie