[LINK] Lost in the Blue Mountains: triple-0 operator 'uncaring'

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Apr 16 16:38:25 AEST 2009

David Boxall wrote:
> <http://www.smh.com.au/national/lost-in-the-blue-mountains-triple0-operator-uncaring-20090416-a84z.html?skin=text-only>
>> The mother of a schoolboy who died after becoming lost while hiking in
>> the Blue Mountains cried as it was revealed that emergency phone
>> operators had been "uncaring" and failed to listen to her son as he
>> desperately pleaded for help, an inquest into his death has heard.
>>
>> The manager of the Sydney call centre of the Ambulance Service of NSW,
>> Superintendent Peter Payne, agreed that there had been serious
>> deficiencies in the way his centre had handled five of the emergency
>> calls made by David Iredale, 17, on December 11, 2006.
<snip>
> For those who don't know the story, there's more here:
> <http://www.smh.com.au/national/teen-made-many-desperate-pleas-but-no-one-came-20090414-a69m.html?page=-1>.
>
> There's an opportunity here to come up with a system that works.

Perhaps some of the issues have been addressed and this is another rehash of an
old story. A few months back, I heard about this campaign, from someone who works
for the fire brigade - who has apparently taken over managing the triple zero
number:
> Triple Zero (000) National Campaign
>
> Triple Zero (000) is Australia's emergency number yet a surprising number of
people don't know it, aren't sure when to use it or confuse it with overseas
emergency numbers.
<http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=710>

and there is:
<http://www.triplezero.gov.au/accesspoint?action=tripleZero>

though goolge brings up this mob first:
> Triplezero: Web Design Adelaide, South Australia - Adelaide web ...
> Web development company providing services to businesses wishing to develop an online presence. Details of services and examples of work as well as contact ...
> www.triplezero.com.au/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz