[LINK] Lost in the Blue Mountains: triple-0 operator 'uncaring'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Apr 17 13:15:58 AEST 2009

At 12:23 PM 17/04/2009, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>>How about EPRBs be mandatory at all nat'l/state parks?
>
>I sincerely hope not. This is the equivalent of mandating compulsory
>mobile phones for anyone who wanders outside of the range of a fixed
>line phone.

Note: I didn't say mandatory to carry them. I said that they were
*at* the parks. That would then make them available instead of at
outdoor stores or police stations away from where the devices are
needed. Why not have them issued at the time of entry when you pay
your fee? If the bushwalker doesn't want to carry it, no one can make
them. But if they are new to the area, then it's a safety service on offer.

This idea of available at the point of able to action or respond came
up in a meeting yesterday. If you don't have the alert/stop
sign/light/epirb at the most likely point of need, you might as well
not have them. It's the ignorant who need the extra prompt.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/