[LINK] RFI: HTTP 'GET favicon' requests from Google Toolbar

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Mon Apr 20 09:34:34 AEST 2009

Roger Clarke wrote:

> I'm puzzled by a pattern in the web-server logs for my old ANU site.
>
> I switched to a new site in February, but the old one continues to
> receive >1,000 hits per day via links on pages that have yet to be
> changed.
>
> (They receive a Permanent Redirect, and hence get to the new page.
> The site's recovered its PageRank of 6, and is back to c. 7-9,000
> hits per day, about 70% of where it was when the ANU stuff-up
> occurred).

Perhaps the culprits are requesting FAVICON from the old site
before honouring the redirect and going on to the new site.

> I do not have, and have never had, any such filename anywhere on my site.

Doesn't matter. HTTP User Agents can be quite insistent in finding
a FAVICON *somewhere* on your website. It is after all pull content,
not push.

Googling for "favicon and http redirect" turned up some semi-related
discussions about this.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Politics is the business of getting power and privilege without
possessing merit.
      -- PJ O'Rourke