[LINK] RFI: HTTP 'GET favicon' requests from Google Toolbar

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Apr 20 14:45:00 AEST 2009

On 20/04/2009, at 2:23 PM, Crispin Harris wrote:
> browser would attempt to gain the site FavIcon for your entry in
> order to
> provide a "pretty" interface to the end-user.. <sigh - insert rant
> about
> form over function here>.

Personally, with a dozen browser tabs open, I find the FavIcon
invaluable in letting me quickly see which tab is which -- far more
efficient that having to read the text of the page title, especially
when the title may be similar e.g. news stories about the same topic
from different sources, or the name "Stilgherrian" in various sites.

I thought the whole point of computers and the Internet was to make
stuff easier. Goodness, how dare we consume a few hundred bytes of
bandwidth to make things a bit easier.

Bring back the ox cart! Bring back the ox cart!

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia