[LINK] Smartcard mooted for federal welfare paymen ts

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Apr 21 17:08:03 AEST 2009

At 4:43 PM +1000 21/4/09, Tom Koltai wrote:
>I urge the Government to include Biometrics as the SOLE source of card
>actualisation.

Tom, in the following, I'm not disputing your argument about the
physical risks confronting the weaker partners in remote households
(almost all females).

But awarding a free-kick to the diabolically unreliable biometrics
sales force out there is not a good idea either.

Is there a way to ensure that the biometric feature is actually
cardholder-friendly rather than -hostile?

I'm not talking about the technical issues (Steve Wilson will happily
expand on my and the APF's outline designs for cardholder-friendly
schemes).

I'm talking about the politics of such schemes.

Note that the Dept of Human Services is conducting discussions with
business on this scheme, but emphatically not with any privacy
advocacy organisation that we're aware of.

As a result, it's also unclear to us whether they're involving reps
and advocates for social interests (ACOSS, aboriginal welfare groups,
aboriginal legal advice centres, etc.).

And it's unclear whether the specs that have been made publicly
available are comprehensive and honest, or gloss over the awkward
bits.  (That's an expression of lack of knowledge, by the way, not an
accusation).

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong