[LINK] Origins of AuDA

Josh Rowe josh at email.nu
Wed Apr 22 20:49:02 AEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 06:34:19PM -0700, Kim Davies wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Darrell Burkey wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 11:00, Roger Clarke wrote:
> >
> >> [(3)  "The auDA was formed in 1999 by former communications minister
> >>       Richard Alston".  Discuss.  (:-)}
> >
> > I don't think so. Hopefully the great resources of Link will provide
> > references but my memory tells me that auDA was completed and
> > providing
> > services long before the Gov started thinking about possibly being
> > involved in the management of the Australian domain name system. And
> > thank God they kept at a distance and let auDA get on with it's work.
>
> I think it would be reasonable to say the truth is somewhere in the
> middle. auDA wasn't created at the initiative of the federal
> government, but it was a necessary broker that helped birth auDA
> because the community couldn't do it by itself. The first attempt by
> the community to create a .au operator was ADNA, and it couldn't pull
> it off without government backing to get the incumbent players to
> cooperate. It took the Government's assistance to create auDA in 1999.
>
> kim

I described my perspective of the regulatory evoluation of the .au domain name space in my (soon to be published) masters research thesis.

Here is a direct extract from the relevant chapter:

http://domainusability.com/auDA-evolution.pdf

The references will be available in the full published version:

Improving Internet Usability - A Framework For Domain Name Policy Evaluation
http://domainusability.com/

Josh (speaking for myself)
--
http://josh.id.au/