[LINK] Fwd: [aliaACTive] www.aph.gov.au - we want your feedback

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Apr 23 13:04:21 AEST 2009

At 12:47 PM 23/04/2009, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>followed by a typical multi-paragraph liability disclaimer penned
>in the style of a deranged lawyer who has yet to learn that the
>caps- lock key is optional, but basically stating that SurveyMonkey is not
>to be held responsible or liable for any data breach.

Yeah but.....

I believe it has also been shown that this sort of 'not our fault'
language doesn't necessarily let them off the hook. Wasn't that the
argument that the boys in Sweden tried for Pirate Bay?

Just because you say you aren't facilitating illegal activity, guilt
by association is always a possibility. If you piss off someone bad
enough, your neck may be on the line. But that's another tangent.

I reckon an Australian based information gathering site would be much
preferred. At least then if there's  breach, you may have a better
chance [or affordable chance] to press the case in an Australian
court instead of a US court. Of course I may be wrong. :-)

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/