[LINK] last mile rent

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Apr 30 13:11:55 AEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009, Tom Koltai wrote:

> > THE competition watchdog has rejected a final appeal from Telstra to
> > charge its rivals $30 a month to use the telco's last mile
> > copper network.
> >
> <snip>
>
> At last - the barrier that was errected in 1996, with the approbation of
> Optus - has finally been removed.
> Australia can now try to catch up the lost IT years.

Now Telstra just need to open up some more exchange space and decomission
all of that strange 1970s/1980's era talking clock equipment to make
space for other deployments.

(There are other issues I hear on the grapevine - including with the
exchange I'm currently connected to via a wholesale Telstra ADSL1 port -
which also impede proper growth of affordable -internet- connectivity.)

2c,

Adrian