[LINK] Tony pulls it off!

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 2 10:19:38 AEDT 2009

At 09:00 AM 2/12/2009, Marghanita da Cruz you wrote:

>However, the energy source is still Coal
>polluting power stations and if you ever
>look at your energy bill you will notice
>that the service fee usually outweighs
>the usage fee. So, as a consumer you
>have very little influence on the Power
>Generators to change their ways.

Yes, same with most utilities. The actual price of the 'goods' is
negligible. They have a sunk cost for infrastructure delivery that
will eventually be paid off to the company, but we'll continue to pay
until doomsday. One wonders where the impost is going to be for the
consumer with an ETS. Wanna take a guess?

>The Sydney Desalination plant is an
>interesting case study - that I have not
>come to a position on. Desalination is
>very energy expensive - so, they built a
>Wind Power Farm outside Bungendore to
>generate the power needed to produce water.

Yeah, same in Victoria. Pity you can't burn salt. Or have they not
considered that?

But the image made me laugh. We have complimentary agriculture, where
you run sheep along with grain on property. This may be the
technological version -- co-locating energy production alongside
water recovery, still relying on nature, or transforming nature to
achieve a life-sustaining requirement: water.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/