[LINK] the ABC interview info on the filter

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Dec 18 09:59:17 AEDT 2009

The ABC interview by Tim Cox with Stan Kane, 18 Dec 2009, 9:45am:

Stan Kane said this is how it would be done:
1. bring in websites from other agencies around the world like
Interpol and other law enforcement
[Oh? Is this true? I thought it was an RC only list?]
2. complaints to be added after verification

does verification take long?
- not familiar, guidelines not released

other parts of the world, political material, how effective, and p2p
being the way it's done?
- authoritarian regimes don't care about over-blocking
- here not filtering with names like Sexton
- difficult, 50-70% p2p, blocking websites only part of the answer
- sites will get around it
- 'gotta be tried' -- people really want this, people don't want
this, this may be the middle ground

how are current bad thigns caught now in p2p?
- different programs that monitors many p2p networks, >100 of those
- not even touching the tip of the iceburg
- scale is immense

how does the internet fit? [confuses net with web]
- would have to spend a long time to find cp and ca on the web
- the sites move, different websites come up each time, adult then
underage then something else, so the police have difficulty trying
because it changes

doesn't fit Australia, int'ly has mixed us with Syria, Iran and China
speed impact on performance
- test was at 8mb, not 100mbps NBN
- 'can throw more grunt at the problem' to answer it
- how it scales, need to speak with the Chinese

will Aust. notice impact when in place?
- not qualified to comment, ask those in the trial
- webservers will slow down, wait and see

danger in taking so long to be implemented, drive futher underground?
- because p2p mostly, this is the first step
- could put p2p filters later
- test the waters of the blacklist on the web
- virus/anti-virus war type result
- only hardcore people will be doing that

This is an area that needs a proper debate forum.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/