[LINK] Myki still not launched

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Dec 23 08:21:10 AEDT 2009

How does a transport company ticketing system relate to computing and
the internet? When the response time is too long for people to get
on/off the transportation [tram].

Myki officials battle to launch Victorian ticketing system | The
Australian (23 December 2009)
  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/myki-officials-battle-to-launch-victorian-ticketing-system/story-e6frgakx-1225811838186
  http://snipurl.com/tszyw

MYKI officials are in a race against time to get the troubled public
transport ticketing system operating before the December 31 deadline.

Worried myki chiefs have designed the softest of "soft" launches, by
releasing the new card during the quiet Christmas period, when public
transport patronage is its lowest.

The Transport Ticketing Authority is still trying to cut the time
taken for a card to be recognised by the system.

About 1000 commuters are using myki in Melbourne as part of the final
phase of testing.

The TTA was not aware of any cases of overcharging among the 1000 participants.

Myki spokeswoman Jean Ker Walsh said some test participants were
touching their cards on and off in about a second, but some were taking longer.

"There is a final stage of testing under way in Melbourne so we can
fine-tune the system before we roll it out," Ms Ker Walsh said.

"When the system goes live, the customer touch action is expected to
be consistently about a second."

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/