[LINK] The once and future e-book: on reading in the digital age

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Feb 5 11:38:49 AEDT 2009

Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 05/02/2009, at 10:02 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
>> Excellent example. I just added an rss reader plugin to Firefox
>> called Brief 1.2. Changed my whole use of Firefox. I used to leave
>> open all these tabs so I wouldn't miss anything. Now I just open that
>> rss reader and find what new posts there are. It's cut my Firefox
>> memory usage in half as a result.
>
> I'm curious - and a general question - why not use a stand-alone RSS
> reader, and save the web browser for web work?
>
> (yes, I'm well aware that most browsers can view RSS - so too can my
> mail software - but I like having my feeds distinct from my web, and
> it's easier to configure the shape and size of my RSS reader, compared
> with my web browser, which I prefer to optimise for web stuff. And
> yes, I know enough about RSS to know that it is perfectly happy in a
> browser window...)

Yes, I prefer using the thunderbird mail interface to RSS feeds. However, the
whitehouse feed still doesn't seem to work in the mail reader so I now have a tab.
However,  while I actively download mail  and RSS feeds. I do not usually check
websites - but this might change nor was I a tab user.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au