[LINK] A Definition Of Piracy In The Digital Age

Chris Gilbey chris at perceptric.com
Fri Feb 6 19:22:42 AEDT 2009

Thanks for the inputs...

So there is a royalty that is paid on photocopies taken in schools and paid
to music publishers. That covers so-called illegal photocopying.

But what happens when I buy a second hand CD in the US, burn it to my hard
drive, and then sell the second hand CD again to someone else in the US.
Clearly I am not crossing the boundaries of TOU. So I am not a pirate.

But in Australia it is still not legal to make and keep a digital copy of a
piece of music. So every iPod owner who has ripped a file is transgressing
at law. But some would argue that keeping a back up is fair use.

Surely the point is not what the TOU is. It is what is morally right.

What is morally right? And what morally makes you into a pirate? Sharing a
file with a friend, or sharing a file for profit? I believe there is a
difference here. I think people are skating around the 500 pound gorilla in
the room....

Regards

Chris