[LINK] A Definition Of Piracy In The Digital Age

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sat Feb 7 15:22:42 AEDT 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:21:44PM +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> I would have thought that rebranding the meaning of "pirate" was a
> digital age exercise on the part of the music and motion picture
> industries, one indulging in the art of spin and mind control. But
> nope, the term has been in use for over a hundred years.

it's still an exercise in spin and mind-control, to associate copyright
infringement with theft and murder. such propaganda is inaccurate,
objectionable and needs to be resisted no matter how old it is. the
fact that a propaganda campaign has had some success in infiltrating
the minds and speech of the public does not justify it or mean that the
battle is over.

similarly, the term "intellectual property" is also a progaganda
exercise to conflate the limited (in both scope and duration) monopoly
rights associated with copyright with actual property and property
rights.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>