[LINK] travel slashed at Cisco

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Feb 8 11:41:32 AEDT 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Ash Nallawalla <nospam at crm911.com> wrote:

> Cisco would be an unusual case, as it has a global market and their people
> probably fly Business Class to distant, remote locations.

If only that were the case - Cisco has a very much Economy (err.. "Coach")
only travel policy, no matter how long the flight.

Cisco has been pushing travel reductions for years, primarily through the
use of technologies of video conferencing (and in particular Telepresence),
Webex, etc, and has been largely successful, but obviously there's many
cases where these are not a viable alternative to actually being there in
person.

The recent travel cuts are a different thing althogether, and are pretty
much in line with cost savings most other companies are doing at this
point.  Things like travel for internal meetings, training, etc have all
been put on hold (without senior management approval), with a view not so
much of canceling any events at this stage, but simply postponing until we
have a better idea of where the global economy is headed.

Of course, we're still a company, and we still need to travel to do business
so where required we are still able to (and at 39k miles in the past 2
months I'm actually up slightly on my average from before the restrictions
came in!)

  Scott