[LINK] googling your power use/smart street lights

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Feb 11 10:42:03 AEDT 2009

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/googling-your-home-electricity-usage/

Googling Your Home Electricity Usage

By <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/author/miguel-helft/>Miguel Helft

If people knew how much electricity they were using every time they
turned on the lights, fired up the oven or lowered the thermostat on
their air-conditioner, they would make smarter decisions about their
energy use, and presumably, conserve more.

That's the idea behind a prototype service that Google
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/power-to-people.html>unveiled
Tuesday, which my colleague Matthew Wald and I wrote about
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/technology/companies/10grid.html>in
Tuesday's paper. The service, which will be called Google PowerMeter,
will allow users to measure their energy use in real time. It one of
many new consumer products that would be enabled by "smart grid"
technologies, and it is one of Google's many
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/technology/internet/28google.html>initiatives
in the energy area.
[snip]
Has an interesting graph of the effect of monitoring. Information is
power, so to speak.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/smart-streetlights-hit-the-streets/

How do you get 100 lighting industry executives to ooh and aah when
they look at a streetlight?

Apparently, by turning it on and off using a cellphone.

That's what a Pacific Gas and Electric employee did in the streets of
San Francisco last Tuesday night, much to the delight of the crowd
who had trekked over from a Department of Energy conference on LED
lighting a few blocks away.
[snip]

Jan
PS: Firefox problem solved. Thanks, David L.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007