[LINK] No cash for phone alert system

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Feb 16 14:43:58 AEDT 2009

<SNIP>
> NSW Emergency Services Minister Steve Whan said early warning systems
> had to be tailored to meet the needs of different communities and
> hazards. "I am advised that each jurisdiction is working on the most
> appropriate early warning systems for their communities," he said.
>
> Citing commercial confidentiality, he refused to release any
> details of a feasibility study recently completed for the NSW scheme.

This is ridiuculous. Hey Minister, 181 Bodies wonder if that Commercial
in Confidence is worth it.
There is no such thing as commercial in confidence when it comes to
lives.
That is just BULLSHIT!

I can imagine in World War II, the minister saying - No, don't set off
the air raid sirens, our German commercial industrial partners might get
upset that we are warning our constiutents that they are trying to bomb
them.

> It is understood that covering mobile phones remains a
> sticking point,
> because it would require all telcos to set aside their own commercial
> interests and provide general access to their networks and
> infrastructure.

RUBBISH

000/999/111 services globally have priority access legislation in place.

This falls under the same banner. A life, or several lives are at stake.
There are no commercial interests.
If the Minister would care to list the "Commercial" entities that put
lives before co-operation to prevent senseless loss, then I would be
pleased to email the CEO of those organisations and nominate the
relevent legislation if the Government is unable to do so.

A bloody angry Tom Koltai.