[LINK] No cash for phone alert system

linda rouse linda at databasics.com.au
Tue Feb 17 11:14:06 AEDT 2009

Well said Ivan!

Ivan Trundle wrote:

> Perhaps I'm missing the point in all this, but my (limited) experience
> of disasters shows that the very first network to go under is the
> mobile phone network. Simply being in range of a tower is all very
> well, but that assumes that the towers exist and are operating.

Having lived through Cyclone Larry and a few other extreme weather
events (which are pretty normal in the tropics!) I can vouch for the
fact that mobiles go out very quickly along with electricity.
Battery-operated radio quickly becomes the only means of communication.
The radio stations in FNQ are very good at reporting events 'on the
ground' as cyclones and flooding are expected during the wet season so
people are much more prepared than southerners!

Nevertheless, I was impressed that one of our local Cairns radio
stations was giving up to the minute reports of the bushfire situation
in Vic on sat night.. despite our own immediate flood problems. There
was nothing on the telly of course :-) and I did not use the Net other
than the news stations which were not up-to-date at all.

> Ultimately, technology has no real solution for these kinds of
> problems: there are severe limitations in communication both far and
> wide, and I think that we are asking too much to expect that we can
> all instantly know what crisis is unfolding and how to react.

Exactly - but long live the wireless!
regards
Linda

--