[LINK] Bush Fire Speeds (was Re: home emergencies)

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Feb 20 12:05:11 AEDT 2009

Lea de Groot wrote:
> On 20/02/2009, at 10:00 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
>> I think that has been disproven by this recent fire, but we won't
>> know until the analysis comes out. I heard on radio reports speeds of
>> something like 50km/h during the biggest firestorms. Again, that was
>> conjecture of on the ground reports, not science.
>
> The recent fires in Victoria were extraordinary.
> I saw one firie quoted as 'we normally measure fires as 1 - 100. These
> were a 350' (paraphrased)
> So the conditions for these fires are not something that should be
> considered as matching the previous norms.
> However - the real question is, with the change in the global climate
> that seems to be happening, can we expect these extreme conditions to
> repeat? and if so, how do we have to change the way we handle, well,
> everything to account for it?
>
> Previously in bushfires we lost a few people and a few houses, most of
> the time.
> Will this lower percentage of damage return, or should we expect that
> these new conditions to be the norn?

Trees play an important part in Climate Change - aside from processing CO2 into
Oxygen, they also keep the temperature down. Unfortunately the response to bush
fire is to build houses in the middle of grasslands. This makes the houses
extremely uncomfortable to live in and increases the use of Air conditioners.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au