[LINK] Tony and ANU

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Feb 22 23:42:05 AEDT 2009

Scott writes,

> Google counts worse that my 2 year old nephew .. single quotes aren't
> quotes as far as google is concerned ..

Thanks Scott ..

& mostly right, google uses double quotes and square brackets, although
they also say neither matters much? Agree the counting seems mysterious.

Google write: "As always, we use square brackets [ ] to denote queries,
so [ to be or not to be ] is an example of a query; [ to be ] or [ not to
be ] are two examples of queries.

Phrase search ("") By putting double quotes around a set of words, you
are telling Google to consider the exact words in that exact order
without any change. Google already uses the order and the fact that the
words are together as a very strong signal and will stray from it only
for a good reason, so quotes are usually unnecessary. By insisting on
phrase search you might be missing good results accidentally. For
example, a search for [ "Alexander Bell" ] (with quotes) will miss the
pages that refer to Alexander G. Bell ..

Cheers,
Stephen