[LINK] Web censorship plan heads towards a dead end

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Feb 26 21:58:30 AEDT 2009

BRD forwards,

> The Government's plan to introduce mandatory internet censorship has
> effectively been scuttled, following an independent senator's decision
> to join the Greens and Opposition in blocking any legislation required
> to get the scheme started.

Seems to me that people & families should have a filtering choice though.

For one very simple example, as a major school-ISP write just this week:

--
Global Filtering vs Custom Filtering:

If you are pointing at acs.vicone.netspace.net.au as your upstream proxy
then you can set custom or local blocks and allows to various websites as
you see fit.

If you are pointing at filter.vicone.netspace.net.au as your upstream
proxy then you are dependent upon us for the additional blocking or
allowing of discrete websites. If we block a site for you then we are
blocking it for everyone that uses  filter.vicone.netspace.net.au. If we
allow a website for you then we are allowing it for everyone that uses
filter.vicone.netspace.net.au.
--

imho, we offer this to everyone, and, let people choose for themselves.

Cheers,
Stephen