[LINK] Telstra/AFP agreement [was: person spoofing

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Jan 5 10:39:47 AEDT 2009

At 10:08 AM 5/01/2009, I sent/[wrote]:
>>The Australian Federal Police announced recently it would also
>>intensify the fight against online criminals, signing a joint
>>co-operation agreement with Telstra.
>>
>>"Technology-enabled crime is a complex, dynamic environment with
>>new trends constantly emerging. We must continually look at
>>improving our methods of detection and prevention," said AFP acting
>>Deputy Commissioner Andrew Colvin.
>>[snip]
>>
>>[One must wonder what is in that agreement]

A kind reader sent the link to the Telstra media release on this:
http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media/announcements_article.cfm?ObjectID=44122

Included in part:

The Agreement will set the framework for the AFP and Telstra to work
even more closely in the area of technology-enabled crime. It will
assist the AFP in gaining a better understanding of the evolution of
the telecommunications environment, training and development activities.

Under the Agreement, the cooperation between the AFP and Telstra will
be focused on:
    * Identity fraud and internet-enabled crime such as Phishing;
    * Online paedophile activity;
    * Child protection and education;
    * Botnet networks and organised crime syndicates;
    * Online terrorism activities;
    * Targeted attacks on public, government and private sector
computer networks.

Professional development of Telstra and AFP staff and employee
secondment arrangements will also be undertaken as part of the Agreement.
[snip]

Mr Winn [Telstra COO] said the AFP had earned an international
reputation of being at the leading-edge of developments in enhancing
the capacity of government, business and the community in dealing
with crime founded in new information and communications technology.

"Telstra enjoys an enduring relationship with the AFP, working
together to detect and prevent criminal activity. Today's Agreement
will only serve to heighten that mutual support," he said.

"In recent times, the speed of changes in the information and
communications technology fields has been nothing short of phenomenal
and shows no sign of slowing. As a world-leader in communications
technology, Telstra is well placed in helping to ensure the AFP
remains at the forefront of global cyber crime developments."

---
So it looks like an exchange of information.

Will the AFP also be working with other telecom providers?
Has Telstra included a 'commercial in confidence' requirement in the
agreement to preclude the AFP from any cross-sharing of information
learned in these exchanges?
Will there be Privacy Impact Assessments on any activity that these
two come up with to balance the effect of law enforcement against the
civil rights of the general community?

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007