[LINK] ICT Predictions 2009

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 6 11:35:33 AEDT 2009

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

> I predict that the realities of IT system management along with
> pragmatic cost/benefit studies will trump any ideological requirement to
> make major changes to existing data centres.

It seems to me that the path to lower infrastructure spend for
government departments is via higher machine utilization. That will mean
a higher power draw per machine, which will probably overall mean no
measurable reducing in datacenter floor space because providing dense
cooling is non-trivial.

This will be done with "cloud computing" -- either privately owned
clouds running virtual machines of existing legacy software, or some
vendor's solution.

Running VMs with cloud-like techniques solves the legacy problem whilst
still radically improving utilization and disaster recovery
capabilities. It is my understanding that the ATO, for example, are
already doing this sort of thing.

Mikal