[LINK] Largest Facebook group in Australia?

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Wed Jan 7 14:48:40 AEDT 2009

Rick Welykochy wrote:

> I am on a few of the social networking sites out of the necessity
> of finding people. Sound familiar?
>
> Then people find me and "write on my wall" and "throw a comment".
> Fine. But what I get via email is a notification that so-and-so
> "wrote on my wall" without including the text that was written.
>
> How useless. Do I have time to go to the social site in question,
> log in and dig up the writing on the wall? Of course not. Not
> to login just to see "kewl, dude!" on my wall.

not true rick.  the other day i got the following message

Heather wrote on your Wall:

"Wishing you both the most wonderful, happy and healthiest of years for
2009"

To see your Wall or to write on Heather's Wall, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?profile.php <rest of address deleted>

I am not sure if there is a limit to the number of characters being
included on 'the wall' or in the notification email.

Of course I am on facebook but am not 'involved' with it because I don't
need to be, I can create content and upload content and all the other
things most of us on the list can do, separately and because we've been
around a long time on the internet.  But for those who have come to the
Net in more recent times, it sure does save them a lot of effort in just
creating content, rather than having to also create the infrastructure
to support their content.  I think its "a good thing" and getting better
as more people criticise the weaknesses and these are taken on board and
fixed as my experience above seems to demonstrate.  My concern with it
is that it provides an altogether easy way to perpetrate fraud by
providing a significant amount of relationship information about any one
of my friends and their friends, all in one place.  I know that anyone
can google me and determine a great deal of info about me and my views
over time, but they have to work at it much harder to create a profile
of me using such tools.

Whilst that remains true, I will resist the temptation to let it all
hang out in any of the social networking sites.

cheers
brenda
--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, PCP, HLM
Director Community Affairs Board, Australian Computer Society