[LINK] creatives angry about copyrestricted DVDs

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Jan 13 11:08:09 AEDT 2009

On 13/01/2009, at 10:05 AM, matthew at sorbs.net wrote:

> every CD I buy now
> must show the Phillips owned "Compact Disk" logo, or I do not buy it.

No wonder you're having trouble... The company name is 'Philips' and
the copyrighted logo has 'Compact disc' inscribed on it, and was the
original format of digital audio discs (which have an interesting
history in themselves: thanks to Beethoven, we now have 120mm discs,
not 100mm - so the story goes).

The technology was developed by Sony and Philips, after joint
development work in the late 1970s. Philips focussed primarily on the
manufacturing process, whilst Sony contributed mostly to the error
correction methodology. Which is rather ironic.

iT