[LINK] gps on kids

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 13 12:57:47 AEDT 2009

Ivan Trundle wrote:

> On 13/01/2009, at 10:24 AM, David Lochrin wrote:
>
>>> I'm with you in the "loss of mind" view. I'm fairly alarmed at the
>>> general trend to replace responsibility and capability with technology
>>> and dependency...
>
> But on the other hand, the loss of mind for all things technological
> allows the rest of the mind to focus on the important things in life.
I'm not so sure this is true. Take in-vehicle GPS ... does the driver
somehow become a "better" driver by not reading maps? When I see someone
driving their cars into road barriers because the GPS said "turn left
now" into a closed road (yes, I have seen it!), then to me it doesn't
look much like the rest of a driver's mind is focussing on more
important things...

Back to the original story, I would consider child-rearing to be one of
those more important things that we don't necessarily want delegated.
But I might be wrong ...

RC