[LINK] Windows 7 Beta available

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:20:42 AEDT 2009

I haven't tried it, but I gather there was some internal acceptance at
MS that Vista was a dud. The two areas mentioned frequently are poor
driver support and irritating security pop ups every time yo make a
change (install software, change settings etc.).
I believe Windows 7 will address these, keeping the existing driver
architecture, and improving the security model.
>From what I have read it has a bunch of changes that are pleasing to
the usability folks, and the hardware requirements are no higher that
for Vista.
As for the upgrade path on the Beta, this is for an upgrade only. You
can do a clean install, and I also suspect the final release will
support XP (and probably Win2k) upgrades.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs